Friday, December 29, 2006

Last post for 2006

So I haven't picked up any of the local language here in Bobo, partly because I haven't tried and partly because I don't want to - put those two together and there is NO learning going on. So for the first month I've been here, unless someone speaks slowly or directly to me in French (which is not the most natural to most people here) I just walk around people talking and have no idea what they are saying. It can be very peaceful, very confusing or very lonely, depending on my mood. So it has taken me almost an entire month to realize that one of the little 4-yr old boys (not the problem child, the other one) stutters. And it is the cutest thing in the world!! He is cute to begin with, so innocent and smiling all the time, but now I sit on my porch or in my house and listen to him stuttering in a language I don't know and it makes me smile everyday. I know this seems somewhat not nice for me to find pleasure in his struggle to communicate, but he doesn't do it really badly and I can't help but find him so adorable!

Judo class is fantastic. I have officially learned 7 moves (4 throws and 3 floor) and started "combat" this week - and do I have the battle wounds to show for it! It is not a hitting sport, only throwing and wrestling essentially, but it is kicking my butt and I'm loving every minute of it! I can sense the urgency my teacher has to teach me as much as possible as quickly as possible, but I make him teach only one move per class (which he has decided means one throw and one floor move - I'm ok with that for now). I don't really like the fight as much as I like the workout, but these guys are training for competition in April and it is full speed ahead.

So the other night after Judo class me and Aisha were biking home and I looked back to see one of the guys from our class running RIGHT behind us. Ok, I've been biking everyday now for 3 months, and these days I could give Lance a run for his money. Granted, it was right after class and my legs were like jello, but I was biking as fast as I could and this kid was right there with us the entire way home - wearing flip-flops and carrying his gym bag to top it all off! It's no wonder these guys are chiseled like statues! I was amazed!

I'm heading to visit one of the other volunteers in a village not too far from here today. She doesn't have electricity, so I am getting excited about the awesome starry sky I will get to watch tonight. Stay tuned for other interesting stories from my trip...

Thank you dad and Steph for the packages you sent. I was getting low on candy for the kids, but the supply has been replenished just in time - not to mention the other goodies! Love you guys and miss you much!

1 Comments:

At 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Natty,

Happy New Year!!!!my friend.

Cheers to you and your new friends in Africa especially the little guy who stutters.

diana

 

Post a Comment

<< Home