Friday, December 15, 2006

Judo in Burkina Faso anyone?

Ok, I'm done being negative. After I posted that blog I got ridiculously sick and spent the ENTIRE night puking. I woke up at midnight in terrible pain and spent the next 6 hours watching the 3 episodes of The Office and the 4 episodes of Grey's Anatomy (because that's all I have, thank you so much Norm) over and over between running to the "restroom" to get sick. There's gotta be some connection there, so we are back to positive thinking. I started Judo classes last night - that's really positive (although my body is not thinking so right now). The 20 yr old daughter of the first wife in my courtyard (now that's an interesting start to a sentence) goes to Judo classes Tues, Thurs and Sat evenings 6-8pm. She asked me if I wanted to go and see if I was interested and of course I told her I was. So we biked together Tuesday night and I just watched the class. There are about 8-12 students (2 girls and the rest guys in their 20s I'm guessing) that practice in this very regular-looking studio with Judo pictures painted on the walls and good mats and everything. So after the class her teacher asked me if I wanted to learn and I said of course I did, but that I didn't know the first thing about Judo and I don't want to be a burden. So my first class was last night. The students in the class are really good and I of course know nothing about Judo, so the teacher took me aside and started me from the very beginning - half in French, half in Japanese. Oh the cultural experiences I am getting here! He was so very patient with me and seems excited that I want to learn - which makes me very happy because it has to be a pain in the you-know-what to have this American who can barely speak French and knows nothing about Judo fumbling around wasting his time. It is really fun and exactly what I needed.

So I am absolutely not getting the puppy. I inquired about what the people in my courtyard would think about me having a puppy and it sounds like they would rather eat it than look at it - thank you very much.

If you have ever seen the movie "Problem Child" with John Ritter then you have some idea of what the 4 yr old of the first wife in my courtyard is like. I am sure I am exaggerating, but there is just something about this kid that is different from all the others. He is cute, but he's ALWAYS got an eye on me with a sly grin that screams "when you are not looking I'm going to do something really bad to you!" I love kids to no end, but there is just something about him. I really don't think he is evil, I actually think he is really cute, but I give him a bonbon (candy) every chance I get...just in case;)

Thank you to everyone who has called and emailed words of encouragement and support. I apologize for being negative and for losing patience. It comes with the adjustment I guess and I am happy to know I have so many people in this world who really care.

2 Comments:

At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nett- I'm glad your feeling better. Your such a strong person. Like I said, "Kudos to you sister" Love ya, mean it. Always thinking of you :)

 
At 3:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Net, did you know I studied Judo in undergrad at Purdue? You know that, right? It was great, but I sucked, but I was in the best shape. Just remember to bend your legs and you can lift and throw any guy.

Love you,
s

PS: it's okay, you can b*tch any time you want. there isn't some rule that since you elected to go there that you have to be chipper and love it all the time. it's all a learning experience and you are teaching us all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home