Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Frickin' Africa

Ok, the honeymoon is officially over. I've had a rough few days and I really don't want to go into the details. It's time to see what Nanette is made of. I have learned that when all else fails it's safe to turn to humor. It is hard to explain to anyone who has not spent any amount of time in a foreign country where a foreign language is spoken the pressure and stress that is ever-present on a day-to-day basis. I'm not always aware of it, but it is there nonetheless and sometimes it builds to a point where a release of the pressure is necessary. It is frickin' hard day in and day out to wake up to a rooster crowing and people speaking a foreign language (it's Jula here in Bobo), to take bucket baths, to constantly be stared at like a circus clown, to be yelled at and called le blanc or nasara or toubabou (that's the new one in Jula, has less of an appealing ring to it than nasara), to use the restroom in a hole in the ground, to eat food that makes you sick every other day, to have to bike anywhere you want to go (I actually enjoy it mostly, but to have to is sometimes a pain), to be harrassed everywhere to buy something because you're white and so must have plenty of money, to be proposed to daily. Just for the record, it's hard. And I knew it would be when I signed up for this gig, but sometimes it builds up. So I have found that daily, on average, something sends me over the edge and I have to shake my head and say, "frickin' Africa." It just makes me feel better - not sure why. Yesterday it was the lady taking her finger out of her nose long enough to greet me and shake my hand (because it is common and not rude to pick your nose anytime anywhere, they just do it). This is the first habit I plan on not picking (no pun intended) up while I'm here. I have also gone through 5 bottles of hand sanitizer in part because of this. This morning it was Mdm O belchng mid-sentence while talking to me (also not considered rude here, and actually considered complimentary to the chef). Not exactly sure if she noticed the look of shock on my face - pretty sure she didn't. The second habit I plan on not picking up here. Frickin' Africa. Come on, work with me people!
Bobo is ok. The kids aren't quite as cute, the people aren't quite as nice and my host family doesn't live here - but Bobo is ok. I have a lot to be thankful for here and do not want to focus on the negative. So I will just say "frickin' Africa" for now. I love you all and miss you terribly. I hope everyone is great.

6 Comments:

At 1:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Natty,

I plan on calling you,I was going to wait until Christmas Eve, but sounds like I will call sooner maybe tonight. Think positive, God is still guiding you or you would not be in Africa in the first place. Cheers to you for hanging in there my friend. miss you, diana

 
At 2:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nett- Please don't feel you need to prove yourself to anyone. Follow your heart, if you feel you need to come home...please do. I love you and thinking of you always.

 
At 9:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You my friend are a Warrior! I believe you are helping to fight battles you don't really even know about yet. If God is on your side, who can be against you? Continue to be strong and may God continue to bless you in "Frickin' Africa"! :-)

 
At 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Teresa turned me on to your blog, very impressive and honest journal of your adventure. Keep it up, you will have the makings of a wonderful book to share with the world when you are done. I'm seeing Oprah all over this.

Be well

 
At 7:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nanette,

During my time we just said WAWA, which stands for West Africa Wins Again. It was usually said with a head shake as you walk away knowing that there was nothing you can do. I often spoke english, knowing they would not understand but I could say just what I wanted.

I found that the best way to find someone out in the bush was to begin to drop your pants and squat. A kid would always pop up no matter how far I was from a village.

Hang in there as you will laugh about this in years to come.

Don

 
At 12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There you go!!! It's about time to say something about Frikin Africa. Don't feel bad because this is your experience an no one else can live it. Im learning alot from reading your blog and yes, trust me im on my way to help out. My country need help like that. Yup. Hey now, the TOUBABOU sounds good and when I was little, I use to be one of those in line to say it, hoping to get a bonbon(candy). It's Africa like that... Like the one person's comment: IF GOD IS WITH U, WHO CAN BE AGAINST U.

So very true.

Keep going!!!

MO-ICE

 

Post a Comment

<< Home