Saturday, November 18, 2006

The criminal...

I had my first (and hopefully only) run-in with the police (or military, I get them confused) this week and it was very interesting. I feel like I have to preface this story...There are laws here, traffic and others, that are not always followed - for whatever reason. I like to think of it (at least the traffic) as organised chaos. There are stop signs at some intersections and not at others - for whatever reason. It is the law that you stop (the truck, car, bike, motorcycle, donkey cart) and put your foot on the ground (at least for the bikes and motos - I can't speak for the donkeys) and then proceed. I can count the number of times I have seen people actually stop and put their foot on the ground. So I was on my way to class a couple of days ago when I approached a street, slowed, and proceeded to turn left onto the paved road. At the next side road a man in uniform whistled (with a whistle) for me to "pull over." So I did and he explained that since I didn't stop at the stop sign and put my foot on the ground I had to leave my bike with him until I paid the fee. The fee was the equivalent of 6 days pay for me and I didn't have it in my pocket at the time (not that I would have paid it if I had it). One of the language teachers saw me on the side of the road and came to the rescue. She called our director and they came to pick me up and take me to class and in the meantime worked out the situation. I essentially got out of having to pay for it, but I'm glad it happened here and now. It wasn't a bad situation, just a good lesson to learn early on. I feel bad for the other people who were stopped (it was clearly a traffic sting) because the fee is high and I know a lot of people weren't able to pay it. I saw them pull over a lady with a baby on her back and a bunch of bags (looks like she just went shopping), and a really really old man who looked like he was on his way to church. Just another day in the life:)

1 Comments:

At 11:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I almost died laughing at this one.Oh my God!!! I really don't mean to laugh.The foot on the floor, the whistle, the pull over. Man, I forgot about these rules and I am glad someone came to the rescue. That's something I have to remember when I come up there.In the midst of all of this, you were worried about the other people who got pulled-over. Wow, you are an Angel!!!
MOISE

 

Post a Comment

<< Home