Saturday, October 28, 2006

Tour du Burkina

Tour du Burkina is a bike race around this country. Today they came through our city and I was front row! I got some great pics! It was fantastic and now I am heading to the celebration ceremony! Not sure which countries are here, but who cares?
This has been a great week...
I started yoga classes week! That really does a body good after my crazy hectic days. The director of our technical sessions is an instructor and has classes on Tues and Thur evenings. He does it in Franglish - a little bit of english and a little bit of french) but we get what he is saying. I definitely know the word for "relax" in French:) It is wonderful - hot of course so it is like doing yoga in a sauna - but wonderful nonetheless! I am just now comletely adjusted (to the climate, the food, the parasites...just kidding) and will start running this week. It is actually really nice at 5:30 in the morning (only about 86°) before the sun starts blazing. Biking is going really great too. I am whipping all around this city everyday!
Last night the host family of one of the volunteers threw him an ENORMOUS bday party - tons of food, drinks, dancing. There were like 70 people there! It was really fun. The people here are so nice.
I took my language proficiency test today. I think it went ok. I obviously started at the novice level when I got here and have to be at least intermediate-mid before Nov 30. I find out my current level on Monday.
We head to the capital city on Thursday for the pan-African art festival! There will be art from all over the continent!
And on Thursday we find out where our sites will be. Keeping those fingers crossed:)
I miss everyone! Hope all is well!

6 Comments:

At 12:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Net!

I'm having so much fun reading your messages. What an amazing experience. All of your stories have been incredible- fascinating, heart warming and hilarious. I'm keeping you in my prayers and hope you get a great assignment/location. Can't wait to find out what you get. Take care of yourself!

Love,
Katie

 
At 8:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nette,

I'm so proud of you for doing this. I love reading your blogs. It's like I'm reading a novel that I can't put down. I can't wait to read the next chapter when you write a new installment. I hope you get a good assignment. Let me know if there is anything that you need. It seems like your family has been taking care of the packages so far. Also, let me know if there is anything that I can send to children in your area through you. You're in my prayers. Take care and Happy Halloween!

Love, Mel

 
At 7:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nett- so you do get to party there as well, huh??? That's awesome...good times everywhere you go!!!! Gotta love that.

ok- so i'm crossing my fingers for you, let us know right away when you find out where your headed.

love ya lots!!!

 
At 12:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nanette,
I love the messages, they are truly unbelievable. I’m so glad to hear you made it safe and the only hiccup was the eye. It’s amazing what you are doing! Sounds like you are making such huge strides and doing great, so proud of you. I am officially married just wanted to pass along. I will be sending a photo, eventually. Hope you are having an amazing time and your goals and dreams are coming to light. You are always in my thoughts and prayers! I can’t wait to read the next post, I’m totally engrossed.
April Mohr (Hoover)

 
At 8:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI NET, MISS U!! I'LL PUT JEN/JT ON A PLANE 4 CHINA 2MORROW. GLAD HE'S ABLE 2 COME HOME QUARTERLY-THANK GOD! ALL OK HERE. HOPE THIS FINDS U OK. I PRAY 4 U EVERYNIGHT @ SUNDWN. U R IN MY THOUGHTS CONSTANTLY. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS U & THINK OF U. BEEN VERY BUSY HELP'G JT LAUNCH OUT OF HERE. HE HAS EVERYTHING TAKEN CARE OF. I TX'D U MOM ON HER B-DAY. SHE SAID U TX'D HER. THANK U! ALL JUST WORK'G & PREPAR'G 4 WINTER. NIGHTS-20'S, DAYS 40'S. SNOW IN MI.& NORTHERN IN.. HOPE U REC.'D ANY "PACKAGES". PL. ADV.. THE H IS COM'G ALONG SLOWLY- I NEED TIME OFF 2 FINISH. SHOULD B IN BY DEC. @ THIS RATE. PL. B CAREFUL-"RUNNING ALL OVER TOWN"? THERE R EVIL PEOPLE EVERYWHERE. DON'T LET U'RE GUARD DWN.. PLEASE!!! NO MED. FLTS 4 LAST FEW DAYS-NICE BRAKE IN THE ACTION. MOST THAT I MEDEVAC IN DIE. MISS U VERY MUCH! LOVE, DAD

 
At 9:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nanette
Cannot express in words how cool I think you are in sharing with the world. Literally. Everybody at Blue is anxious to hear about you and do what we can for you and the people around you. I always thought you were a good egg and have found out you are an exceptional egg - humanity is better off because of people like you. What can we do to help?

Your fan club is in awe.

ed

 

Post a Comment

<< Home