Saturday, October 07, 2006

Infirmary

Well it didn't take long to land here at the infirmary. In Africa for 10 days and here I am - but fear not, I'm ok (I think). Yesterday I got something in my eye and it got more painful throughout the night. So the Medical Officer had me come to the capital city where I saw an eye Dr this morning (that was a wonderful 2 1/2 hour bus ride). My eye is scratched, so he gave me some drops and wants to see me Tues or Wed. What all of this means is... cheeseburgers and pizza and air conditioning and french fries and movies (American ones in English!) and air conditioning and free internet on an English keyboard and seeing all the other PC volunteers who come through the capital city and did I mention air conditioning?? There is a really good restaurant at the international school here that serves American food (the school also has a beautiful swimming pool!). There is also a good restaurant at the embassy that I will try to make it to before this little sick trip ends. Looks like I will be getting "sick" more often than I planned:) I'm kidding, but there are some perks to being here in the PC infirmary. One guy came in, as I was heading to the eye Dr, who had malaria. He looks amazingly good for someone who has malaria (like I know what someone who has malaria looks like) - though he probably doesn't feel great.
The rest of my group went to visit another current volunteer at her site to see a real "day in the life" of a PC volunteer. It's a good idea to show us what we'll really be doing so people have a reference as we go through training. Hopefully I will get to visit someone later since I had to miss this one.
I have had the chance to hang out with some current volunteers who are halfway done with service and it's interesting to see their perspective after having been here a year already. Makes me wonder where I will be in a year.
I miss everyone and hope you are great! I'll be on the internet for the next 4 days, so more to come...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home