Thursday, May 17, 2007

You gotta ask the right questions.

When I leave this place I will be an expert in the art of asking the right questions. Before I came here I heard many, many stories from other volunteers who didn't find out very important information about their jobs or their community or their projects until the end of their service. It's common here (and apparently in other countries where Peace Corps exists) for people to not get the entire story or all the information (pertinent or otherwise). I don't want to say people are lying, just not giving all the information; not necessarily withholding, just not giving more than you ask for...which leads to the reason I will be an expert in asking the RIGHT questions.
Those of you who know me well (or just know me) know that I am direct (to put it nicely). I say exactly what I mean, no beating around the bush, no sugar-coating. Some people consider this a flaw, while others consider it an asset. Whatever the case, that's the way I like to be dealt with. As luck would have it, that's not the Burkinabe way...at all. It's actually the exact opposite. My organization is large and has A LOT going on. They are motivated and hard-working and aspire to be something big a great one day. Being the accountant I am (whether I fit the prototype or not) almost the first thing I requested from my organization was financial information for the organization in its entirety. 6 months later I am 200% sure that I do not know everything this organization does. I have studied all the words in french that I think might be able to convey exactly what it is I'm trying to get my hands on - all, everything, complete, entire, the whole lot, each and every one, altogether. I find out a little more each day. It is exhausting. It goes against my grain. Maybe a lesson in being indirect; definitely a lesson in patience.
I've been crazy busy with my organization since I got back. They have some big and exciting things going on and I'm doing my best to help them where they need me. I'm also starting a girls club for this summer in my neighborhood for girls aged 12-18 (the prime age range to drop out, get pregnant, make less than desireable choices for their futures) to address a lot of the issues facing girls in this country - career planning, financial management, sex ed, family planning and just provide a forum for them to discuss what's going on in their lives and answer questions they may have. I'm having a lot of successful women from Bobo come to speak with them to provide the girls with local role models who could potentially serve as mentors for them. It's going to be fun and hopefully will benefit the girls somehow.
That's what's happening with me. Sorry this wasn't funny - maybe next time.

3 Comments:

At 4:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI NETT, DAD HERE. MIS U !!!! CLR ON URE "GIRLS CLUB" THEME. CAREFUL! THAT'S THE AGE ALL THE GUYS WANT TO MARRY EVERY GIRL THEY C. ALOT OF GUYS WON'T B HAPPY W/ URE IDEA. YEP, @ WORK- ITS SLOW- THAT'S GOOD. SENT NOTES 2 ALL-U, JT, STEPH. HAVE 2 YAK W/ M&G LATER. THEY ENJOY URE BLOG/E-MAILS. ENJOY URE COMMENTS-"RIGHT QUESTIONS" ALL OK HERE -HOPE U R OK. ITS TURNED COLD HERE. HI 62F LO 38F. JUST A COLD FRT WX COMING THROUGH. SHOULD LAST 2-3 WKS THEN WILL GET WARM/HOT. COLD KILLING GARDENS, FLOWERS ETC... I THINK STEPH DUE HERE IN JUNE & JT/JEN IN JULY. REST OF MY KLAN SAYS "HI & TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF & B CAREFUL" WILL YAK LATER, LOVE YOU VERY MUCH, DAD

 
At 4:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI NETT, MISS U!! ALL OK HERE. PRAY ALL OK W/ U. JUST A NOTE 2 SAY "HI". JUST THINKING OF U & FELL BETTER WHEN I "TALK" 2 U VIA THE BLOG. WX IS GREAT- HI 70'S LO 50'S. I NO U LOVE THIS KIND OF WX- THIS & FALL TEMP'S. NOTHING NEW ON H FRT.. PL DROP LINE 2 M&G WHEN U CAN. NOT 2 BUSY 2DAY EVEN THOUGH ITS SAT PM-THANK GOD.

 
At 3:54 AM, Blogger MO said...

Awesome blog about asking the right questions!!! I can relate to this one simply because the more specific/direct a question, the better/Concise answer you will get with me! If the intention is to beat around the bush and eventually get to the real deal, then ya.. good luck with these burkinabes.. U ain't getting nothin...:)

Hey, great idea on the "Le club Nanette". Are you trying to be Oprah or wut? Actually, you will get a better turn out because you live in it.

ooops.. I better go. Wish these blog don't show when a comment was posted.. Can u fix that?

Yo! Be safe, Do your thing!!! I got yo Back Jack!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home