Thursday, March 15, 2007

Ok ladies, let's go fishing

You know the old saying "buy a man a fish, feed him for a day; teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime." That basically sums up the first mission of the Peace Corps. We are here to build human capacity instead of handing out cash (like a lot of NGO's do, and many times it ends up wasted, stolen, etc) or building buildings (that sit empty cluttering the horizon because they couldn't be maintained) because somebody wanted to "make an impact" or have something that shows how they helped Africa. But here another concept has been identified that could be added to the saying...something like "teach a woman to fish, feed the next generation." The point being that while an educated man can go out and work and provide for his family, an educated woman will educate her children. I have never been a supporter of helping a category of people based on sex, race, religion. I don't believe in organizations/associations/whatever established to promote any one category of people - whether it be women, catholics, African Americans. As far as I'm concerned we are all human - and though we weren't all born equally, I think we should be treated equally. I don't think anyone needs handouts or special recognition nor do I think someone should get a job or a scholarship just because they happened to be born Latino or Jewish or whatever. In addition, I don't think Africa needs the rest of the world to hand them money because they are poor. The people here are perfectly capable of fixing their own problems and giving money only teaches people to be creative in ways to get more money rather than addressing the underlying problems. The only way I think a difference can be made is through education. So...since I do agree with the notion that an educated woman will most likely pass education on to her children AND since I was placed with a women's association here in Burkina, I am having less of a problem with focusing my efforts here on educating women.
Thanks for listening to me work this issue out via blogspot. I hope everyone is fantastic. I miss you all and will be home in 16 days...I can taste the Starbucks already;)

Leah - I still have all the teeth I came here with.
Brent - My thumbs are in the same condition as when I arrived back in Sept.
Fear not my friends! On the whole I am the same on the outside...it's the inside that's having the makeover. Toodles!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home