Thursday, March 08, 2007

Back home again...Burkina syle

Seeing my host family again after 3 months may be the best feeling I've had since I've been here. Earlier this week they had a small welcome back party for me and when I walked in the door I was overwhelmed with hugs and kisses and smiles and such a sense of peace. I love my host family to pieces. My host mom is her same larger-than-life self going 100 miles per hour. She got her driver's license (for a car - not so common here) while I was gone and made really great improvements with her boutique. What a woman! My host sister turned 9 while I was gone and I swear grew 5 inches. She's gonna be a knockout very soon! My host brother missed my ipod more than anything I'm sure, but I had to put the smack down on him to hit the books in preparation for his big test coming up. Boys - what can you do. My host dad kissed me on each cheek twice and wanted to know every detail about Bobo and my work. You know the priest came over and was asking questions in English and I was responding to all of them in French! They were so impressed with how far I've come with the language. I hadn't realised it until now that I understand most things and can respond easily. They prepared my fav meal for dinner and after dinner my host dad took my hand and told me how much they missed me and that when I left I left a big hole in their hearts and in their lives that only I could fill and that they were so very happy to have me back, but they knew I would leave again and they would feel hollow again. It made me shed a tear because I felt the same. Bobo is good, but this is home for me here in Burkina. Did I mention I love them to pieces? My perfect little Burkinabe family - mom, dad, brother, sister and 2 dogs. Oh my goodness the dogs remembered me and went crazy when I walked in the courtyard - jumping around and wagging their tails ferociously! Sigh. It's good to be home...Burkina style.

4 Comments:

At 1:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget about your huge family in the states!!! We miss you also.

 
At 1:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI !!! GLAD 2 HEAR FROM U! SORRY U WERE SO SICK. GREAT PIC. IS IT ME OR DO ALL THE PIC R W/ U & URE PC GANG ALWAYS PARTY'G? I HOPE THE PC IS GET'G SOME WORK OUT OF U PCV'S. MAYB U GOT SICK AFTER EAT'G THAT PIG?? DA! STOP THAT. HOPE URE "CARE PACKS" BRING U ALITTLE "BACK HOME AGAIN" REMINDER. GET'G NICE HERE- 60 HIGH & 30'S LOW IF ONLY 4 1 WK.-WE'LL TAKE IT! MOST OF THE SNOW HAS MELTED. MISS U VERY MUCH. JT'S VW IS AVAILABLE 4 U DUR'G URE STAY. WILL YAK LATER, DAD

 
At 12:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so happy that you get to come home soon!

Linda

 
At 1:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok- now that brought tears to my eyes....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home