Saturday, June 23, 2007

Good-byes and dog bites

For a slew of reasons I have decided to end my service as a Peace Corps volunteer in Burkina Faso. I said tearful good-byes to my host family already. They will always hold a special place in my heart. I am finishing some end of service administrative stuff this weekend and I fly home Monday (getting me to Indy Tuesday).

So, last night I went out with some other volunteers here in Ouaga for a little good-bye celebration. As I was waiting (outside, with my back facing a waist-high wrought-iron fence) to use the restroom, I felt something grab the back of my leg, really hard. I thought it was one of the other volunteers just having fun, but when I turned around I came face to face with one of the biggest dogs I have seen in this country. He had stuck his head through the fence and bit me! OUCHY! I was wearing jeans and those teeth went right through and sunk into the back of my thigh. Not a ton of blood, but OUCHYYYYYYYY! So today I had to get a rabies shot. DOUBLE OUCHY! And I will have to have the follow-up shot Tuesday. TRIPLE OUCHY! Good Lord! Get me outta here! I'm kidding...but what the heck?

Anywho.

I will add a few more posts as I get my pictures uploaded (since that seems to be what people love the most:) A little more to share, so stay tuned. I am so happy to have had this opportunity to come here, see what I've seen, learned what I've learned, and share it all with you. If anyone has questions about my experience here please feel free to contact me at nanettemkelley@gmail.com. Thank you all for checking in to learn a little about my experiences here.

3 Comments:

At 9:50 PM, Blogger Molly Connor said...

Please travel safely. I miss you and can't wait to see you. Muah!

 
At 5:19 AM, Blogger MO said...

First of all, so sorry about the dog bite and I stil think this dog needs to be put to sleep!!! Maybe he's Unhappy U are leaving.

So, on behalf of all the Burkinabes...although unworthy to represent the whole population, I want to say THANK YOU, MERCI BEAUCOUP for all that you have done! Burkina has seen lots of Peace Corps volunteers, but few are the kind that will live at their level, understand their standards and more than anything be friends with them.
As Indiana gets ready to have the long gone, Burkina is sad you are leaving.

Not to sound too spiritual, but I really had this on my mind heavily all week. It's a verse in the Bible in Mathew 25 that goes like this :

"Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a little ; I will put you in charge of Big things" (Paraphrased).

Yup, your blogs personally helped me and it will be deeply missed b/c this is where I run when I needed a reminder of what home looked like: The dirt, the bikes, the cows, the bugs, the homeless, the fruits, the taxi, the buses, the greetings, soccer... The list goes on my friend!



SHOUDN'T BE FUNNY BUT I HAVE TO SAY I LIKE THE HUMOR IN YOUR PAIN:

OUCHYYYYYYYY! DOUBLE OUCHY! TRIPLE OUCHY! Good Lord! Get me outta here! I'm kidding...but what the heck?

U are pretty funny!


Definitely like Molly said, Have a safe trip Home!!!


***BON VOYAGE***
***C'EST FINI***

 
At 8:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally hating you for leaving me...just kidding...so sad to see you go my dear closest neighbor. What will I do without my favorite word (rhyming with "duck") spewer.

It won't be the same with out you, but I can always look foward to the NYC Marathon baby!!! Get your ass in gear chick. Nov. 4, 2007!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home