Sunday, September 23, 2007

South Korea Day 2 - Sunday

We started Sunday with the plans to hit up a spa/massage parlor. On the subway we were reading the Korea Lonely Planet guide and found a tour of the grand palace downtown that was only offered at 11:30, 1:30 and 3:30 and it was already 2pm. So we decided to detour and check out the palace and then go to the spa place.This is Changdeokgung Palace, well, one of the many buildings on this huge landscape in the middle of Seoul. This was the main building where all the ceremonies took place. The king's throne is inside. It was built in 1405.
Here is me and Minh at the Secret Garden. The gardens are so beautiful! The grounds are so vast. The name of this pond is Aeryeonji, which means "loving the lotus."

So we spent a couple of hours at the temple then took the subway to Itaewon (pronounced ee-tay-wahn). This is basically the G.I. zone. The U.S. military base is 2 blocks from this area so it was covered with Americans. We arrived at the salon only to find out it was closed. What a deflated feeling. I had talked myself up to a mud scrub by little on Korean women, followed by massage, pedicures, relaxation, etc. Not happening. So we headed back to Minh's area of the city and decided to get the next best thing...pedicures.
Here's a pic of Minh's very first pedicure!! I can honestly say that I have started an addiction in her that will probably last forever. These ladies were really good!

We ended the day with a trip to sushi heaven.
This is my new best friend here. He is the sushi chef at a sushi place around the corner from Minh's house. He hooked up the goods. I know I didn't have to go to Seoul to see this, but he makes sushi and puts it on these conveyer belts that go by in front of everyone sitting around at the bar and you just choose whatever you want! Oh my gosh it was awesome. He uses this paddle to hand specially-made dishes to people. He hooked me up with some tune and Minh got an avocado roll. Yuuuuuum.
That ends Day 2 in Korea. Monday we are back with Marius for a tour of downtown Seoul, shopping, and drunken karaoke. Come on, you know I can't leave this place without singing like the rock star I am!! Stay tuned...

1 Comments:

At 9:53 AM, Blogger MO said...

Hey, this look really nice... Filled of history. Sounds like you had a blast!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home