Thursday, January 25, 2007

4 months down

So I've been in this country for 4 months now and here are a few observations:

Happens every day…I’m riding my bike down the street and I come upon a group of 5-6 guys sitting on the street corner in my neighborhood (or the next neighborhood or downtown or anywhere for that matter – it’s never hard to find a group of 5-6 guys sitting on a street corner). They are just staring at me (all of them, without fail) and what, from my experience in the states, I would refer to as mean-mugging me – straight mean-mugging. But I know better because they aren’t like that here. So I say “Bonjour” or “Bonsoir” and all at the same time they are smiling and waving and yelling “Bonjour! Bonsoir! Ca va? Et la famille? Et la journee?” and on and on and on. Happens every day, on just about any corner. It’s like it has to be silence until I say go and then they race to see who can get the most words in before I ride out of earshot. It’s so bizarre! It makes me giggle. And I wonder, what are they thinking when they are just staring at me? Are they waiting for me to saluate them? Are they waiting for me to fall down or something? Are they wondering where I’m going, what I’m doing, why I’m in their country? Some are because they ask after I greet them. They never speak first. The only people that speak first are the kids who are responsible for letting everyone around know that there’s a white person in the vicinity and the guys (usually walking alone) that want to sell me something or become “friends” or what-have-you. Women never speak to me until I speak first.

I have also noticed that when I decide to walk from our Peace Corps office here in Bobo to downtown or from downtown back to the office (which is about a 20 minute walk one way) I never walk far before I have someone more than happy to walk along with me, as far as I am going that day. So far they have been really nice guys just gathering information about me, and I satisfy their curiousity because it’s nice to have someone to walk with and talk with sometimes. I wonder if I just kept on walking right out of downtown to the edge of the city and then out “en brusse” if they would keep going with me. I’ll test this at a future time.

Most everyone I come in contact with assumes I am French at first. They don’t get a bunch of Americans in these parts I guess. But when they find out that I’m American it’s like well that changes everything. Many request that I take them back with me when I leave. I tell them I’ll think about it over the next 2 years and get back to them. Everyone wants to go to the land of everything – oh America.

So I was out in the city last week and some guy comes up to me and is talking a mile a minute about how beautiful I am (good Lord that is a stretch!) and do I have a cell phone because he would really love to have my number and blah blah blah and oh I’m American, well he really would like to marry me. So I stopped and I looked at him and smiled and then told him that I would really love to marry him but that I already have one husband in the U.S. and one in France and one in Burkina and that I’m only allowed to have one per country. Really wish I would have had my camera out for that one. The look on his face was priceless. I think the ridiculousness of each of our stories was about equal – what do you think? Sometimes ya gotta have a little fun, right?

6 Comments:

At 9:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you are enjoying the mother land. I alwasy knew that you would fianlly go all the way black...haha.

So how is it having all eyes on you? Do't let the attention go to your head!!!! haha

Just wanted to drop you a note to say hello. I am glad things are going well and you better give me a call or come up to Brebeuf when you get back. Oh yeah, you have been gone for a few months. I am now the AD at Brebeuf.

 
At 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, well!!! Not sure what to say to this one, but Im sure you are liking that part of the Burkina experience... Add me to these contenders. Would ya? I bet it's going to be a big loss for them like you are about to experience at the SUPERBOWL. CHICAGO 36 and COLTS 14. Sorry, im bringing football into this serious talk. I just had to...

Hey, Im glad you are having fun.Yay!!! Tell them to stare all they want and then leave... Like you said. You have too many husbands already:)

Take care!!!

MO

 
At 3:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Natty,

Mind your manners-please...

diana

 
At 4:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are coming home in April? When? I still can't believe you are so far away...sounds interesting tho. Do you have email or just this blog site? Can't wait to talk to you more....
Angela

 
At 8:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI NET! JT & JEN JUST LEFT FOR CHINA THIS AM. JT HAS A BAD COLD-GO FIGURE. HE'S BEEN GOING FROM 1 PARTY 2 ANOTHER. WILL DIDN'T BUY THE JETTA, SO MAYBE IT'LL B HERE 4 U. CONGRAD'S 2 MARSHALL 4 THE AD JOB. SORRY MO, THE SB SCORE IS WRONG ITS COLTS WIN & BEARS SUCK!! SORRY, 2 BRING FOOTBALL INTO THIS BLOG BUT HE STARTED IT!MISS U VERY MUCH! NICE 2 C U FROM URE PIC'S. URE RM IS WAIT'G 4 U. ITS COLD HERE:15 DEGREES & 7 4 2NITE-WINTER HAS ARRIVED! BEEN YAK'G W/ STEPH. ALL OK HERE. JT PD 4 A BIG FAMILY CHOW LAST NITE @ JOE'S CRAB SHAK.HAD A GOOD TURNOUT (25). HOPE URE PACKAGES MAKE IT B4 U LEAVE. I'M ON MY 7 DAYS OFF-IT WORK'D OUT WELL W/ JT'S VISIT. PL B CAREFUL!! LOVE YOU, DAD

 
At 3:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, this is getting interesting Blog!!! Loving it. Well, we will see on sunday!!! 3 more days and then we are the Champions! Go Bears, Go get em.

MO

 

Post a Comment

<< Home